Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kitchen, Carpet and Staples

Here's the progress so far: Kitchen is painted and for the most part complete. Painting on the rest of house is on hold...we've learned that we need our house rewired, so we'll wait on painting and mudding until that is complete.

On Sunday, with Amanda and John's help, we were able to remove all the carpet from the house. This carpet and pad were very gross after 50 years of use, but pulling them off was like opening up a present. The dining room has pad that is stuck to the floor and one of the bedrooms has a covering glued down, but everything else came right out.

Sunday night, Monday night, and tonight we spent pulling the carpet nails and staples. The rooms went fast but the stairs took us about eight hours. We still have the carpet tack strips and the pad to remove from the dining room.

Living room

Master Bedroom

Spare bedroom with covering

Dining room with stuck pad

The treads were completely carpeted, but at some point they were dark like the living room, then stained to a lighter color with a carpet runner.


Small bedroom


Sunday, October 12, 2008

Painting and Mudding

We don't have a whole lot of progress to show this week. Reynolds got married this weekend so we took a complete break from the house.

Most of the bedroom cracks have been mudded and sanded and it's almost ready for primer.

The cabinets are all painted and the doors are hanging again. Karina is going to start painting the walls green again, the first green was a bit too bright...looked like UND white and green.

Our goals for this week is to finish the kitchen, start painting our bedroom and start working on mudding the living room. Two weeks and counting from when we move in so the crunch is on.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Kitchen - Painting

We've finally started painting the kitchen. Karina and Amanda cleaned the cabinets, removed the hardware and got them ready for paint last Thursday. Friday night we started priming the cabinets and Karina spent the weekend finishing the priming and finished painting the cabinets which are now white.

Our patch job on the ceiling turned out a lot better than expected. The picture below shows the area under the fluorescent light fixture that we are replacing. The entire kitchen, cabinets and ceiling were once painted this dark red, in the 1950's the red was covered by a light green.

Here's all the cabinets doors, the fronts just need a final coat of paint and they will be complete.

Here's some pictures showing the primed kitchen.