Here's the progress so far: Kitchen is painted and for the most part complete. Painting on the rest of house is on hold...we've learned that we need our house rewired, so we'll wait on painting and mudding until that is complete.
On Sunday, with Amanda and John's help, we were able to remove all the carpet from the house. This carpet and pad were very gross after 50 years of use, but pulling them off was like opening up a present. The dining room has pad that is stuck to the floor and one of the bedrooms has a covering glued down, but everything else came right out.
Sunday night, Monday night, and tonight we spent pulling the carpet nails and staples. The rooms went fast but the stairs took us about eight hours. We still have the carpet tack strips and the pad to remove from the dining room.
Spare bedroom with covering
Dining room with stuck pad
The treads were completely carpeted, but at some point they were dark like the living room, then stained to a lighter color with a carpet runner.